In recognition of the significance of the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War the Friends of Teignmouth Cemetery are undertaking a project to commemorate those who died and were buried in a war grave in Teignmouth Old Cemetery.
In total there are 49 scattered war graves in the cemetery. Some of these are “Personal Memorial” graves – i.e. they are family graves in which someone recognised by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) has also been buried.
The majority though are CWGC sites. In general, as with the rest of the cemetery, the graves have not been well tended. There are exceptions where volunteers have previously taken it upon themselves to look after some of the graves.
What we aim to do in this project is the following:
- Identify and map the location of all the graves.
- Photograph the graves as a record and a reference point of the current state of them all.
- Negotiate with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to take on the regular maintenance of the graves.
- Document as far as we can the story of each person buried there. We would like to track down any living relatives and write up brief stories of the actions/ campaigns in which the people died.
- Clear all 49 graves, making them visible and accessible in accordance with CWGC guidelines.
- Produce display board(s) for the Cemetery showing the locations of graves and details of people buried there. This is to enable any visitor to the cemetery to be able to find readily a grave they may be looking for.
- Organise some sort of commemorative ceremony to complement the main remembrance service in November. This would be held the weekend before, most likely on Saturday November 3rd
Through the above we hope to achieve the following:
- The War Graves should be more accessible for relatives and maintained with the respect due to them.
- We would like to encourage local community involvement with businesses, schools and any living relatives
- We are keen to increase awareness of the Friends of Teignmouth Cemetery and the work that we are doing as a group of volunteers.
Click on the following links for further information as this project progesses: