The Ruin

To the left of the lodge is the remains of a second chapel.  Until a couple of weeks ago this was covered with ivy and full of bramble and ivy.  The overgrowth has now been cut back but there is still quite a bit of work left to bring the inside down to its original floor level.  As the clearance progressed a lot of masonry came to light.  It appears that fragments of broken headstones have been left here – it would be interesting to trace their original grave locations.  Here are some photos:

Looking into the ruin

Looking into the ruin

Looking out towards the chapel

Looking out towards the chapel

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Scattered masonry

Scattered masonry

Stones from graves - John Albert Chalmers

Stones from graves – John Albert Chalmers

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

More fragments

More fragments

 

1860

1860

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Can anyone read this?

Can anyone read this? Looks like 1867

 

 

 

ruin07

1858

Advertisements