The following reference comes from:
THE TEIGNMOUTH GUIDE “containing a description of the town and of the places and remarkable points of interestin the neighbourhood; the excursions and walks, the wild flowers, ferns and sea weeds to be found in the district, climate, &c, &c. Sixteenth edition, with considerable additions.”
The guide was written by Nicholas Toms Carrington, January 1 1865. It was published and printed by Edward Croydon and George Henry Croydon. Interestingly the Croydon family are themselves interred in the Teignmouth Old Cemetery.
“Since the prohibition of intra-mural interments, a public Cemetery was opened nearly a mile from the town, on the old Exeter road. The situation is commanding, and the enclosed space, which is entirely surrounded by a wall and railing, may comprise about two acres. The usual division exists between the portions appropriated to the worshippers belonging to the Church of England and dissenters, and there are also two chapels for the conducting of the burial service.
The grounds are well laid out, and considerable taste is displayed in tending the resting-places of many of the departed — thus giving a pleasing air of neatness and solemn retirement to the hallowed precincts of the graveyards. Admittance may be obtained at all times (except during the hours of Divine service on Sundays), on application at the porter’s lodge.
The management and control of the Cemetery is vested in a body known as the Burial Board, which consists of eighteen members, chosen in an equal manner from the inhabitants of either parish.”
The book is available on Googlebooks.