The Cemetery is divided into a number of areas and each area is then subsequently divided into numbered plots. The picture below shows the layout of these areas in the Old Cemetery. The red-letter references are: C1 is the existing chapel which is the front chapel shown in the 1864 lithograph; C2 is the rear chapel shown in that lithograph which is now just a ruin; L is the lodge which still exists. The view shown in the lithograph is probably from the southern side of section NN
The above summary layout is based on much larger survey maps held at the Teignbridge Cemetery office on the Brunel industrial estate in Newton Abbot. Here is a copy of the whole cemetery plots:
This is based on an original from 1931 which is a cloth-based manuscript:
Here are some of the close-up details:
The colour coding key shows:
- Vacant adult spaces, unpurchased
- Unpurchased, room for two further interments
- Unpurchased, room for one further interment
- Vacant children’s spaces, unpurchased
- Adult, unpurchased and no room for further interments
- Child, with one or more interments
- War Graves
The map is dated Sept 9th 1931. The centre of the map shows: the “Dissenters Chapel”, which is now in ruins; the Episcopal chapel; the Lodge and Vestry. The drive which runs across the cemetery in front of the chapels is labelled as the Carriage Drive.
The land to the right of the lodge and vestry appears to be the original consecrated ground, which corresponds to the “Episcopal” chapel whilst to the left (the side of the “Dissenters” chapel) are unconsecrated graves.
Looking at one section in more detail, the area where Leah Laforgue is buried is in consecrated ground below the Carriage Drive: